Friday, September 7, 2007

Liberal Feminism- Erin Hoyt

Liberal feminism “focuses on women’s ability to show and maintain their equality through their own actions and choices.” Active liberal feminists are ones who take part in legislation, fighting for rights that they believe both men and women should have, such as equal pay and equal jobs. Liberal feminists believe that they can take their own actions in order to change our society to represent feminist thinking istead of having to completely alter our society to take a feminist stance.
I do agree with this feminism to the point that individuals can make a change for feminism with the choices they make daily, but I do think it is neccesary to make feminism a bigger deal and have gatherings and such to support it. I’m not saying liberal feminists are against that but they are more about inidividuals taking a stance and fighting for political rights for women.
I’d have to say that I do not consider myself a liberal feminist, yet at the same time I do. I don’t because I don’t fight for political rights as I should, I honestly tend to stay away from politics all together. Howver I suppose I do consider myself to be one because from day to day, being a very independent woman, I find myself striving to even do the smallest things ensure my equality and respect.
Some liberal feminist writers include Mary Wollstonecraft and John Stuart Mill. Some helpful websites include: www.feministissues.com/liberal_feminism.html and Wikipedia.com.

No comments: