Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blog#5


-Willie Gibson


Queeh Latifah - U.N.I.T.Y.
Song Writers: Dana Owens and Joe Sample

http://youtube.com/watch?v=prhF6LE89z4&feature=related


Uh, u.n.i.t.y., u.n.i.t.y. thats a unityU.n.i.t.y.,
love a black man from infinity to infinity(who you calling a bitch? )
U.n.i.t.y., u.n.i.t.y. thats a unity (you gotta let him know)(you go, come on here we go)
U.n.i.t.y., love a black woman from (you got to let him know)Infinity to infinity (you aint a bitch or a ho)
U.n.i.t.y., u.n.i.t.y. thats a unity (you gotta let him know)(you go, come on here we go)
U.n.i.t.y., love a black man from (you got to let him know)Infinity to infinity (you aint a bitch or a ho)
Instinct leads me to another flowEverytime I hear a brother call a girl a bitch or a ho
Trying to make a sister feel lowYou know all of that gots to go
Now everybody knows theres exceptions to this rule
Now dont be getting mad, when we playing, its cool
But dont you be calling out my nameI bring wrath to those who disrespect me like a dame
Thats why Im talking, one day I was walking down the block
I had my cutoff shorts on right cause it was crazy hot
I walked past these dudes when they passed me
One of em felt my booty, he was nasty
I turned around red, somebody was catching the wrath
Then the little one said (yeah me bitch) and laughedSince he was with his boys he tried to break flyHuh,
I punched him dead in his eye and said who you calling a bitch?
I hit the bottom, aint nowhere else to go but up
Bad days at work, if you an attitude then you were rough
And take it out on me but thats about enoughYou put your hands on me again
Ill put your ass in handcuffs
I guess I fell so deep in love I grew dependency
I was too blind to see just how it was affecting meAll I knew
was you, you was all the man I hadAnd I was scared to let you go,
even though you treated me badBut I dont want my kids to see
me getting beat downBy daddy smacking mommy all around
You say Im nothing without ya, but Im nothing with ya
A man dont really love you if he hits yaThis is my notice to the door,
Im not taking it no moreIm not your personal whore,
thats not what Im here forAnd nothing good gonna come
to ya til you do right by meBrother you aint ? sick? (who you calling a bitch? )
Whats going on in your mind is what I ask yaBut like yo-yo,
you dont hear me thoughYou wear a rag around your head
and youCall yourself a gangsta bitch now that you saw apaches
videoI saw you wilding, acting like a foolI peeped you out the
window jumping girls after schoolBut where did all of this come from?
A minute ago, you was a nerd and nobody ever heard of ya
Now you a wannabe...hardYou barely know your abcs, please
Theres plenty of people out there with triggers ready to pull it
Why you trying to jump in front of the bullet (young lady)
Uh, and real bad girls are the silent typeAint none of this work
getting your face slicedCause thats what happened to your
homegirl, right? bucking with nobodyShe got to wear that for life (who you calling a bitch? )


I have been familiar with queen Latifah’s music since her early career in the late 80’s. I was always a fan of her work and when I saw her name on the list I immediately remembered this song.
“I peeped you out the window jumping girls after schoolBut where did all of this come from? A minute ago, you was a nerd and nobody ever heard of yaNow you a wannabe...hardYou barely know your abcs, pleaseTheres plenty of people out there with triggers ready to pull itWhy you trying to jump in front of the bullet (young lady)Uh, and real bad girls are the silent type”

In these verses I interpret Latifah trying to address the fight by young women for gender equality through violence. She points out the violent actions and attitudes taken by young women, empathizes with them and then shows that strong women don’t have to use violence to achieve equality to men. There is also an overall reference to the physical abuse that women receive. She admits to the reasoning behind why women submit to men but shows that physical violence is not acceptable.I think mainstream popular culture is familiar with the physical violence that is taken by men against women but I don’t think there is much reference to the violence that is used by women against other women.
Since I am not a woman it is difficult to identify with the oppressed feelings that male on female violence can bring but I do identify with the idea of standing up for your rights in an oppressed situation. It does give me a sense of empowerment in that way.
That same idea and feeling of standing up for your rights is also a demonstration that could be used to overcome sexist oppression.
I think Queen Latifah has a unique way of incorporating a feminist message that opposes sexist attitudes and allows men to understand the message without feeling threatened. I think there were more songs done in a style similar to this one, feminism would be leas threatening and more positively understood.
As a man sometimes it is difficult to understand a woman’s viewpoint and empathize with feelings of oppression and sexism. I would like to say to Queen Latifah that throughout her career in all her works, she has been able to create a positive image for woman of all races and provided the ability for men to see and understand the viewpoint of many oppressive and sexist behaviors that men are guilty of without even knowing at times.

No comments: