Thursday, April 24, 2008

Independent Women: Caroline R

I choose Independent Women by Destiny’s Child. It was on the album Survivor, which was released in 2001. It was written by Beyonce Knowles, the lead singer, Sam Barnes, Jen-Claude Olivier, and Cory Rooney. The song held the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for eleven consecutive weeks from November 2000 to February 2001. It was also the theme song for the film Charlie’s Angels. I have always listened to Destiny’s Child and have always liked their music. They have always had positive songs that are empowering to women. They were big when Britney Spears and others artists like that were famous, Destiny’s Child never put women down, used bad language or were negative unlike the other singers of that period.

I believe Independent Women is a great example of a song that portrays women’s rights and feminism. The song is about a women being independent from her boyfriend/husband and how he did not think she could make it. The best line that represents empowerment to women is, “I depend on me,” this is repeated throughout the whole song. They also say things like, “I do what I want, I work hard to get where I am, and a relationship is 50/50.” I think the most important part of this song is in the first verse, they name Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore, and these are all famous, successful, healthy and strong women who have made a name for themselves through their positive actions. Today, I think women are often viewed as the part of society who earn less than men, therefore making us dependent on men. This song is all about buying your own things, paying your own bills and living your own life. Yes, this song does make me feel empowered, the lyrics and music are great and it is hard not to feel great when listening to it. All of Destiny’s Childs songs promote the same things, independence, strength, health, and positive attitudes. I do not think it offers ways to change society, but it shows women that they should and can be independent. Today is such a rap music period, it is hard to find a decent song that kids can listen to that does not slam women or is written by someone like Britney Spears who sing songs like, “I’m a Slave For You”. I wish there were more groups and songs out there like this. When we buy music written and sung by women who portray themselves as sex objects and sing demeaning lyrics, we are only making them famous, which means those are the faces our kids will see on television, and that is who they will want to be like!

I would like to thank Destiny’s Child for writing and singing positive songs and for being strong role models for young girls. I wish other female artists could see that they do not have to lower themselves to become famous.

Here are the lyrics to the song- http://lyricsdemon.com/67369/destinys-child/independent-women-part-1/

Here is the link to watch the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuMmfDWMLgY

By: Caroline R

No comments: