Friday, December 7, 2007

Martina McBride Independence Day

The song Independence Day was released on Martina McBride's album in 1993--she then released it as a single in 1994--it was written by Gretchen Peters. The lyrics tell the story of a woman's domestic abuse. The video shows this from her daughter's point of view. The song's video was controversial at the time due to the graphic scenes of domestic abuse. The lyrics had a double meaning; the woman in the story is finally gaining her freedom from the abusive husband--the video shows her starting her house on fire with her in it--it is her independence day and the event happens on July 4th, America's Independence Day. These are the words to the song:

Well she seemed alright by dawn's early light, though she looked a little worried and week She tried to pretend she wasn't drinking again, but daddy left the proof on her cheek I was only eight years old that summer, and I always seemed to be in the way, so I took myself down to the fair in town on Independence Day

Well word gets around in a small, small town, they said he was a dangerous man Mama was proud and she stood her ground, but she knew she was on the losin' end Some folks whispered and some folks talked but everybody looked the other way and when time ran out there was no one about On Independence Day

(Chorus) Let freedom ring, let the white dove sing Let the whole world know that today is a day of reckoning Let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong Roll the stone away, let the guilty pay It's Independence Day

Well she lit up the sky that Fourth of July by the time that the firemen come They just put out hte flames, and took down some names and sent me to the county home Now I ain't saying it's right or it's wrong but maybe it's the only way Talk about your revolution It's Independence Day! (Repeat Chorus)

I used this song because I have always liked Martina McBride and her music--I thought this was an appropriate song for domestic abuse. I think when the lyrics say "Mama was proud and she stood her ground" talks of her strength as a woman. I think that at the time this song was released, domestic abuse was not in the public eye as it is now and this song and this video I think may have put a face to the women who are abused, it also talked of how people look away and feel it is not their problem, but domestic abuse is everyone's problem and everyone should share in not tolerating abuse to anyone. I feel thru the chorus of this song it may give a sense of power and maybe some guts to go out there and get help or to be empowered to help others. I feel that Martina McBride has addressed many issues in a lot of her songs if you listen to them. She is a beautiful person inside and out and has used her music and charity to help many people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's worth discussing the song again now since the recent use of the song's chorus by Sarah Palin as a prelude to one of her stump speeches.