Monday, September 10, 2007

Blog # 2 Maya Angelou

Phenomenal Woman
Pretty women wonder where my secrets lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit, A fashion models size
But when I start to tell them, they think I'm telling them lies. I say,
It's in the reach of my arms, the span of my hips,the stride of my step, the curl of my lips.
I'm a women...phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,that's me.
Now you understand just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing it ought to make you proud.
I say, it's in the click of my heels, the bend of my hair,the palm of my hand ,the need of my care,Cause I'm a woman...phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman, that's me.
~ Maya Angelou


Maya Angelou was born in 1928. She is a poet, memorist, actress and important American Civil Rights Movement figure.
She may be best known for her writing and autobiographical material.
She didn't speak from age 8 until age 13 after a man who abused her was beaten to death by her uncles and she felt her words had killed the man.

She was deeply involved with Civil Rights and Fell in love with and moved her son to be with him in South Africa. She was also great friends with Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr.

Maya Angelou was appointed by three president to different positions. She read her poem"On the Pulse of the Morning" at the inauguration of President Bill Clinton. It was only the second time in history that a poet was asked to read. President Kennedy was the first.

Maya Angelou was honored by many academic organization however, she never attended college. She has received several doctorates from major universities.


Maya Angelou was married briefly and had one son who is also a poet. She uplifts women and civil rights in most of her writings, poems and films. Maya Angelou became more visible and her works acknowledged through her friendship with Oprah Winfrey.
She continues to strive to raise her voice for all women and equal rights for all mankind.

References:
www.mayaangelou.com
Wikipedia
Oprah Winfrey's Legends Weekend 2007-05-28
authors.aalbc.com/maya.htm -
www.wic.org/bio/mangelou.htm

No comments: