Saturday, July 7, 2007

Susan B. Anthony, by Blake Romp

Susan B. Anthony was born February 15, 1820 in Massachuetts. She was the second of eight children. She learned to read and write at the age of three. When researching for Susan, I was able to find out that she moved to New York to attend a district school. While she was there, the teacher who taught the clsass refused to teach Susan lond division. The reason for this was unclear. Becuase of this, Susan was then taken out of school and was "home schooled" by her father. Susan passed away March 13, 1906.

She was a well-educated American civi-rights leader who played a major role in the 19th century women's right to secure women's suffrage in the United States. She gave aorund 75-100 speeches per year to about women's rights. Her major complishments like I mentioned above were playing a valuable role in the civil-rights leader and also played a role in the anti-slavery and temperance movements in 1849 at the age of 29. She attended many conventions for women to speak her mind and give women the rights that they deserve. She opened doors for women by fighting for them and trying to give them the rights that all men got. She felt that women were disrespected and not treated fairly and after reading about her I agree with her. Some of the things she did were jsut aamazing. It takes a lot of courage to be able to do what she did. I gave her all the credit in the world. Another thing she did was discuss abortion. This is a touchy topic with me also because I am against it liek she was. She blamed men for it. I can not say that I agree with that becuase it is both of the partners problems. To me abortion is like committing a murder. That is how I look at it.

I have heard about Susan B. Anthony. I will say that I did not know a lot of the things that she was able to do while she was alive. I learned a lot by researching her. I am more and more starting to undertsand what women went through back in the day and it was hell. I give them a lot of credit for what they all were able to do and change the way they were treated. Sher taught mer to stand up for yourself and fight for what you believe and do not let anyone get in your way. You should go for your goals and not care what people say.

I used 2 main sites for my info. They were very helpful:

http://www.history.rochester.edu/class/sba/first.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_B._Anthony

No comments: